Sunday, October 14, 2007

A Pinky Swear From The Creator

Well I've written three blogs today, it just seems that every time I start writing I get on another side trail that turns into another post. It seems as though my "confessions" post was quite a freeing thing for me...Praise the Lord.
So right now I want to look at the Israelites...ah, the Israelites they really sucked at life a lot of the time. (I guess it's too bad that I'm just like them)

When you look at the story of the Israelites you see that when they are in the wilderness they are all griping and complaining about how they were better off in Egypt. How at least there they had food to eat there. I guess they all forgot about the inconvenience of bondage, torture, and slavery. And they seemed to forget what God promised...seems pretty convenient to me that this place they are going to is called "The Promised Land".

In the story of Israel we don't just see that they question God's promise. We also see that it might even seem that they were better off before God started doing what He wanted to do. Even though we were in bondage and slavery.

Something that the Israelites had a hard time with, and that I see in my own life, is that they all know how to look back, but what about looking ahead? The can look back and see how nice it was to have food in Egypt (even though life sucked there) but they don't look ahead to what God has said He will give them. I've said to God so many times lately that I'm miserable now, I was better of and happier the way I was, I had no cares then. I wasn't happy back then, I was just blind to the fact that I was in bondage and slavery.

I need to get my eyes off of how much better life was in the places I've been in my journey thus far. They were all just stepping stones to become who I am now, they weren't all in God's plan but still He's used them. I need to get my eyes on where I'm going, what God has for me, how He is going to use me for His glory in the future.
Its not always going to be easy, and I'm not going to always make the right decisions but I heard a quote one time I liked. It went something like this:
"How do you know you're moving forward if you never fall on your face"?

The road to come isn't necessarily an easy one, but its the only one I can change. The things I've been through are called experience, the things I've yet to endure are called choices. So I can do nothing else but to through God let my experience effect my choices.

Cheers to the Big Guy for having something bigger. Here's to what the future holds.

Be Thankful For What You've Had, Embrace What You Have, Reach For What Is Next.

3 comments:

Lor & Josh said...

you have become profoundly wise in the Lord Scottie I. I LOVE reading your posts. This one in particular spoke to me, since I am right now 38 days away from flying to Israel for 3 months alone on a fore-running "volunteer" trip - with many details yet to be nailed down. I feel exactly like the Israelites, "God, it was so much easier before You called me....will You really provide for me day to day...can I really trust You to be true to Your promises for the future?" One thing the Lord has shown me as I've been praying about what's to come is that I dream far too small dreams. He truly has things in store for us so beyond what we can imagine that if we would just let go of fear and take hold of HIS hand and see through HIS heart to HIS dreams for us, well, we certainly would fall face down. What's frightening is that His plans for our future, while good, are for HIS Kingdom, not ours, so we have to do that whole death to self thing in the process. arg! but HE is so good and worth every minute of turmoil and trials and learning and adventure and unknown......etc.

well, I'm going to go re-read your post now. Keep writing and falling head over heals for YHWH. HE in YOU inspires US.

PS, whatever it is you're facing for the future be confident "The Lord WILL accomplish His purpose for you" (see David and His intensely personal diary we call "Psalms")

Anonymous said...

You really only need to keep your eys on God NOT whats comming or what has been .Dont take your
eyes off him and he will lesd We dont need to see whats comming our eyes lie to us.

Anonymous said...

our posts inspire me to read more in the bible :) I am thinking of getting back into my blog sometime soon as well. Who said the quote about falling on your face? -Aleta