Thursday, May 24, 2007

"So...Self Control Again Eh. Scott Must Have Done Something Stupid, Again.

Well it's confession time.

A little while back I posted a blog called "Fruit for Everyone", which was about self control. And in that post I wrote...and I quote. "There has been one area in my life that I have always wanted self control in and I have never had it...until now". Well it seems when I consider the events as of late that maybe I didn't have as much self control in this area as I had originally thought. Just seems maybe the temptation wasn't so...in my face.

Now I will say this much, I am doing much much better, but none the less I am human and I do fail...regularly. But that's not good enough for me, just being human and prone to failure. I am going to keep on persevering and letting God do work in me. I know He will deliver me from this if I stick with Him.

So this all leads me to a few thoughts on temptation. While I was at May Rally, the speaker put in a few words about temptation. Which is really cool because what he was saying was what I was learning about temptation. A great confirmation, and also what he said also tied together a few things I was learning about self control, temptation, and foundations.

Now if you will go back with me you will note that I had also posted a blog about foundations, and how we should have our lives founded in God. Now how do we found our lives in God, how do we follow what He wants? By getting into His word, the Bible.

The Bible is our offensive weapon. In the armor of God, it is the only offensive tool which we have against the enemy. So wouldn't it be good if we knew it, knew about it, knew how to use it. When Jesus was tempted (first off I would like to say that the Bible says "Jesus was lead into the dessert by the spirit to be tempted"...think about that one for a while). But when Jesus was tempted how does he reply to each temptation? By quoting scripture. If we knew God's word, and pulled it out when we were being tempted....that is our offence against the enemy. The word of God is so important to us!

So if we have God's word in our heart and we use it to resist evil, and temptation. Isn't that self control? Resisting our evil desires? So that's where these few little lessons meet.

"Like a city whose walls are broken down is a man who lacks self control" Pr 25:28
Now what was the wall around the city used for? Protection, that's right! So would it be safe to say that this verse is saying without self control we don't have protection.

Ultimately fighting against, and resisting temptation is self control. If we have our life founded in God, then we are in the word. If we are in the word then we not only have protection against temptation, but we can fight against it. So really it all boils down to God's word.

Now I will say this about temptation...which I learned and was confirmed at May Rally. God will always give us a way out of our temptation. I know this, when I am tempted I have seen that way out. It is usually so clear to me that to say I am an idiot when I give in to that temptation is a dramatic understatement.

I know for myself, and I bet for a lot of people, we don't even grasp the full importance of God's word. We read it and it seems so bring and dry, we get discouraged. But God's word is so important to us. Without it we have no offensive against evil. So lets get into the word, memorize it, know it, even question it, so that we can truly understand it and what God wants us to learn.

I thank God that He Forgives. And even in my foolish, evil ways He uses my short comings, failures, and sin to teach me. God is good.

6 comments:

Kim said...

What no pictures! I totally agree but find it hard to relate to the bible and question everything way too much. I think I need prayer, which lately I have been overwhelmed by. There's too much that we are supposed to pray about! Aaaahhhhh! Your welcome for being the 1st person to comment on your blog again.Ta

Yurr...She Blows said...

I would agree that a lot of the time the Bible is hard to relate to, but about the questioning part. I think it is important to question the Bible. I think if we ask questions it forces us to look deeper. I find so much I reaad things in the Bible that I don't understand and just go "well its the Bible, its true...so...I'll just accept that". And I think God wants out understanding of Him to be so much more than just He's God and what he says goes.
So I think it is important to question the Bible, if those questions force us to look deeper, and in the end we just have a better understanding of what God wanted us to learn anyway.

And thank you for being the first, and very faithful commenter.

Ya, prayer, I could use that...and I too have felt very overwhealmed by it the last little while.

superwomanlmm said...

Ok, this is me leaving a comment because you asked me to. I have a Bible study with a few of my teens once a week and one of our main focus' is to memorize scripture so we can pull it out whenever we need it. It's been sweet seeing my teens quote scripture to encourage each other in their walks with Christ. "For the word of God is living and active. Sharper than any double-edged sword, it penetrates even to dividing soul and spirit, joints and marrow; it judges the thoughts and attitudes of the heart." Heb. 4:12

Aleta said...

Hi Scott! This blog is really helping me understand some things that are going on in my life and its really nice. I am trying to get this blog thing going, but its still a little bit confusing. Add me to your list if its worthy :) www.aleta-leighton.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

Okay...a couple of things. I had to read your last 2 posts at the same time because I am behind. My name is Stephanie, and I am the worst friend ever. Whatever.

Secondly...see if you ever get invited to come over and hang out with me and my "idiot dog". Just because you had a bad experience with one dog doesn't mean they are all idiots. (You may substitute the word "dog" for any other noun you may find applicable at this time.)

Third, this last post sounds just like something I heard Joyce Meyer say once...maybe you would understand the Bible better if you got the Joyce, I mean Amplified, version. All jokes aside, it is really good and makes it so much easier to understand what was originally meant in the language of the day.

Lately I've started to think of "temptations" as attacks by Satan, however subtle...It helps me to think of them this way because it reminds me that the battle is God's, which means it is already won, and through Him we have the power to defeat Sucktastic Satan.

I will conclude by passing on these gems from Joyce:

At the end of the temptation accounts, Matthew inserts a powerful statement. With each temptation, Jesus won because he relied on the Word of God for His strength. And the devil couldn't fight the Word. Finally, Matthew records, "Then the devil departed from Him, and behold, angels came and ministered to Him" (v. 11).

The wisdom to be gleaned from this experience is powerful. Even after you've been battered and tempted, God doesn't leave you. He remains with you to comfort you, to minister to your needs, and to encourage you. Never forget He is as close to you as the mention of His name. He will never leave you nor forsake you.

Yurr...She Blows said...

Ok, well in response.

First...You are the worst friend ever, I mean seriously, it takes two minutes twice a week to read my blog.

Second uh, well I'm not sure where the "idiot dog" comment came from, cause I don't recally ever calling your dog an idiot...though it does sound like somethign that would come out of my mouth. The only idiot dog I know is Clarkson, and that is only because of extenuating circumstances.

Third, I've been having some thoughts on temtation lately, which I have to ponder some more, then I will probably blog on them if they all make sense. So ya, thats my response to that.

Fourth...uh, Steph. That was the longest comment I've ever read in my life. I mean, too many more of those, and I'll have to stop reading them.

(Insert humourous tone here)