Wednesday, May 16, 2007

More Dear Diary Time With Scott's Blog

So I've been reading and thinking laitly about the Israelites. Oh the Israelites...you know, maybe its just me, but the Israelites seem like the kind of people who just didn't get it. I mean they are in Egypt as slaves with of course sucked, and they cry out for God to deliver them. So what does God do? He delivers them. Fair enough eh?Now we catch up later on down the road with the Israelites, lets see what happens. "Moses, life sucks out here, lets go back to Egypt where life was good."????What? God delivered these people from 400 years of slavery, and they want to go back? As the story goes on, they start to sin, life sucks again. They call out to God when life sucks, then God accomodates them (that whole manna thing, water from the rock, the snake on the pole...bet they were a damper to have around camp), they sin again, cry out God delivers them. They think God is a bail-me-out service. Ok, I sped the story up quite a bit but thats the general idea of is at least as I see it.

These people seem like THEY JUST DON'T GET IT! I mean God wants them to have what He promised, He wants them to trust him.Life sucks, they sin and complain and cry out for deliverence, they get it. So hey, what the heck, they sin and complain, life sucks and so on and so on. (Now I hope you follow me with this because it made sense to me when i thought about it)

You know someone else who didn't get it. You guessed it. Me. You know life has sucked at times, and I want God to make it better, and eventually it gets better. So instead of following Him and learning what He wants to give me, I just go do my things my way and it all happens again, so on and so on.

I heard a preacher say something like this once "so often when bad things happen we ask "why", and we ask, why kind of God lets this happen?" All these questions that fix nothing. God's question is "who am I?". Who is God to me when bad things happen. For so long I've seen God as someone to bail me out when I needed it, someone to accomodate to MY needs as I see them. THIS WAY I LEARN NOTHING. But He isn't like that and doesn't want me to see Him like that, He wants me to trust him. He wants me to follow him, and believe that He will has it taken care of, because He does. For so long I just didn't get it.

Who is God to you when bad things happen? Is he someone to bail you out of the bad thing, or is he someone you trust to teach you through all this? I promise, God's got it under control, He really does, I believe it.
I'm so hard on people in the Bible...I mean those idiots, why don't they just get it! But I haven't gotten it either, and to this I admit, I'm the exact same way!
I'm sorry for the way that I have looked at God for so long, but I thank Him for teaching me this, and I am excited to see what else He has for me.

No comments: